Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Irregular periods and pelvic pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Irregular periods and pelvic pain

For the last 10 months or so I have had irregular periods. Sometimes there is as little as 14 days in between periods. My usual cycle averages 29 days, and these days I usually don't go more than 23 days in between.

One day ago I awoke with a sharp, stabbing pain in my lower left abdomen. It worsens with activity and is sore to the touch. It was also accompanied by some unusual fatigue, which has resolved somewhat, though the pain remains.

I will make a doctor's appointment this week, but my question is that considering the length of time that I have had irregular periods, if this is an ovarian cyst, is it likely to resolve without surgery? Or is there no way to make a guess at what type of cyst it could be without ultrasound?
Hi!
I am going to guess that you have two different issues going on here.  The irregular periods are likely to be due to a hormone imbalance.  That is going to need to be straigtened out!  Usually, when I have a patient with similar complaints, we find that the endometrium ( uterine lining ) is thickened on ultrasound. or there might even be a polyp.

The new pain sounds like a different process. It may indeed be an ovarian cyst, or could be related to the colon--often left lower pain is a bowel symptom--could even be diverticulitis.

Bottom line, you are going to have to have some tests done, and the sooner, the better!

Good luck!
Dr B