Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Irregular periods and pelvic pain
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Irregular periods and pelvic pain

For the last 10 months or so I have had irregular periods. Sometimes there is as little as 14 days in between periods. My usual cycle averages 29 days, and these days I usually don't go more than 23 days in between.

One day ago I awoke with a sharp, stabbing pain in my lower left abdomen. It worsens with activity and is sore to the touch. It was also accompanied by some unusual fatigue, which has resolved somewhat, though the pain remains.

I will make a doctor's appointment this week, but my question is that considering the length of time that I have had irregular periods, if this is an ovarian cyst, is it likely to resolve without surgery? Or is there no way to make a guess at what type of cyst it could be without ultrasound?