Irregular periods
I'm a 39 year old woman with irregular periods who's about to contact a doctor about the issue but I would like to know what kinds of treatments are available before I go so I know what to expect.

I have had irregular periods for several years.  Issues like missed periods, spotting instead of regular menstrual flow, sometimes I get cramps but no blood, sometimes I get a slightly heavier discharge instead of blood, sometimes a small flow.

I guess I put up with it for so long because I was a "yo yo" dieter and thought that was the reason.  But I also did shift work for 10 years and have odd sleeping habits and have recently heard about the link between shift work, sleep disorders and menstrual/fertility problems.

I don't think i am in menopause because my mother had me at 39. I have no children and have only used over the counter birth control.   I have not been sexually active in over a year as my boyfriend is working overseas.
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would do a complete pelvic exam, pap smear (if indicated) and probably a pelvic ultrasound to evaluate the lining of your uterus. I would be especially interested in the lining of the uterus.  I would also probably get blood work--TSH, FSH and Prolactin levels.
Depending upon how all of the tests turned out, I would very likely prescribe progesterone therapy, since progesterone is probably the hormone that you are lacking.
Hope this helps!
Dr B
I had a miscarriage on Feb 22nd and got my first period on April 21st and did not ovulate that cycle.  I took medroxyprogestrone on May 22 - May 31st for 10 days 10mg and I still don't have my period as of June 6th.

I am worried and don't know what's going on.  I believe my lab results on my hormone levels are normal.  
Hi lovingone.
I know your symptoms very well.
I suffered with menstrual pain also is I hadn't blooded. Did you already tested for polycystic ovaries (PCO Syndrom)?
Typical for this are also hairs o n parts of the body who doesn't belong there, headache and sometimes depressed habit.
I there
I m 28 years old i m having irreguler periods , even before marriage but just for a couple of months..now i have two children one is 6 n one is 3 ..having this problem have had my periods two months ago ..i m gaining weight too..ant remedy plzz
I have never had intercourse, not been on birth control ever. I'm 17 nearly 18. My periods are extremely irregular as they come every month to having extensive periods of wait time. For instance my last period was the end of March and I just got my next period which should of realistically came end of April. That's a 104 days between cycles. Any insight?
Could someone please be as kind as to tell me how i can message a dr thanks ;-)
Is it still possible to get pregnant when your not ovulating or fertile?
Hello!I just want to ask how to treat irregular period???like my last was may 23 and then i missed june and now july 14 my 1st day..thank u.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.