Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Just got results of bladder scan and told I have a fibroid on my uterus...
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Just got results of bladder scan and told I have a fibroid on my uterus

Hi was wondering if anyone can help I suffer from interstital cystitis and was going for bladder scan my doc sent me for a bladder scan and the results showed a 3.1cm fibroid at the lateral aspect of the uterus. This does not affect the  bladder and its presence was an incidental finding. Normal appearing right ovary. Left ovary was not identified. Can you tell me what this means. x
603463_tn?1220630455
Hi!
If a patient of my own had a scan with similar results, I would reassure her that fibroids are very common--they affect 50-70% of women. Also, three centimeters is relatively small.  When fibroids are found incidentally, they are usually just followed conservatively--in other words, you might want to do another scan in 6-12 months to be certain that the fibroid hasn't changed in any way. One more comment, it is also very common for one of the ovaries to not be visualized on an ultrasound, and this is not worriesome either.
Good luck!
Dr B
2 Comments
Blank
Ok thank you for your reply going back to see my gp in 2 weeks for follow up as it is not my urologists field so gp maybe refer me to the gyn doc. x
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
603463_tn?1220630455
Elaine Brown, MDBlank
Elaine Brown, MD - BLOG
Billings, MT
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now