Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Lump on Cervix

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Lump on Cervix

About 6 months ago i felt quite a firm lump on my cervix and i started getting some occasional minor bleeding.  Since then i constantly had a few lumps coming and disappearing but i always had at least one.  Now for the 2 months it stopped and i just have one lump on my cervix that is always there.  I don't get any pain or irritation but my discharge has a very unusual odor and quite strong.

I have also noticed that my periods have become shorter. They only last three or four days when before they would always last a week without a fail.  I am now 23 and so far has 3 smear tests to check for cancerous cells and all three have found some borderline changes in my cells, which is another reason i am worried. I have seen two doctors so far and both of them have reassured me that it is nothing as neither of them seem to be able to see or feel the lump. However i know that the lump was never there before and it definitely there now. Surely this cant be normal.  Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Hi!
I believe one of the ladies of the forum mentioned Nabothian cysts in her post.  That is very possibly what you have.  These are basically plugged mucous glands that can be tiny to quite large (pinhead to grape sized).  Another less common possibility is a fiboid.
I have seen these muscle-cell growths on women's cervices.  These are not anything to worry about either. One thing to try is to ask your doctor to show you your cervix with a mirror (not as strange as it seems!) and point out the area of concern to him/her.
As for the changes in your cycle, the most common reason for cycle changes is stress.
The foul discharge could be old slowly draining blood--which smells awful.  OR there could be infection such as BV.  A repeat exam/pap and wet mount/culture might be helpful for you!
Good luck!
Dr B
I have a couple, too, and they come and go/change places, but they are called Nabothian cysts, and are created as the cervix makes new cells to replace the old ones and cervical mucus producing channels get blocked. They are harmless. Now are the other symptoms you are having real or in your head? If you smell funny, you need to go to the doctor. You could have cervicitis or an infection of the cervix & that can be caused by an STD among other things. Plus if you have pre-cancerous lesions, you need to be monitored closely by a dr. and may need to have a colposcopy in which case they will examine your cervix rather closely anyway.
From last 1year i am facing a problem of continous discharge . It is thick and smells bad. I am very uncomfortable , as i always feel wet. I have a problem of acne on my face , back and shoulders. I have extra hair growth on chest and stomach. I have consulted 2 doctors , they felt that i might have a problem of cyst . I got alot of test and ultrasound. But all reports were okay. I have taken medicines also. But it has decreased, but its not stopping at all. I have taken contraception pills twice with a gap of 1year. Earlier my periods were of 7 days with heavy bleeding, but now periods are normal of 5-6 days. My age is just 24yrs. I am becoming plumpy , but i weight has not increased. Pls help me i would be getting married very soon. Thanks