Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Mirena IUD & cramps

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Mirena IUD & cramps

I have had the Mirena for almost 14 mths and I am experiencing really bad menstrual cramps.  I haven't had a period/spotting in over 6 mths.  Is there anyone who have had this experience?  If so, why is this happening?
Hi!
You may want to consider getting checked to rule out infection of the uterus.  If you were my patient, I would probably also do a transvaginal ultrasound to double check to be sure that the Mirena is properly positioned.  If eveything turned out OK, I would give you a prescription for Anaprox DS 550mg twice daily, and have you take it at the first sign of pain, until the cramping is gone.

Good luck!
Dr B
A related discussion, HELP!! cramping while on mirena was started.