Mirena
       I am 47 years old and suffer from long excessive periods!  My doctor is suggesting Mirena.  I am on medication for HBP.  I also have high cholesterol.  I don't think this is a good idea.  My doctor said that my bp was good and that shouldn't be a factor.  I have moved from Ohio to NC and have a new doctor and just need a second opinion-Yours!  Thank you in advance.
                                                                                                           Paula

The Mirena can be an excellent way to improve menorrhagia (excessive menstrual bleeding). The hormone in it, Progesterone, thins the uterine lining making periods lighter and in 20-30% of women there periods end after 1-2 years (which some women like, some don't).  Also, it won't affect your blood pressure.

However, there are other ways to address menorrhagia.  Talk to your ob/gyn about all of your options and decide which is best for you.

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
Hi, i had similar symptons to yourself,, started on northisterone tablets to help with blood loss...Then had Mirena coil fitted, it took over 6 months to notice a benefit from it but now excessive bleeding has stopped and also am regular without the spotting and breakthrough bleeding i used to have...My personal opinion is,, best thing i had done!

hope this has helped and good luck xx

from Paula x
A related discussion, Mirena was started.