Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Missed Period for 5 Months

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Missed Period for 5 Months

Hello
I have missed my period for about 5 months now, I have taken pregnancy test and it comes back negative, Im am only 19 and my periods were irregular a couple years ago, but not for this long, i have been under some stress around June but none lately, and I havent really been fluctuating in weight, Can you please give me an idea to what the problem might be????????????????

Yes, there are a handful of possibilities of what may be causing your absence of menstruation.  Women who have oligomenorrhia (infrequent menses) should be evaluated for a possible pregnancy (it sounds like you are not pregnant), an endocrine panel checked (including a TSH--thyroid hormone-- and prolactin), assessed for the polycystic ovarian syndrome (notable for irregular periods, hyperadrogenism, and sometimes multiple small ovarian follicles), as well as for premature ovarian failure.  Also, as you noted, significant physical (such as extreme exercise or weight loss) or emotional stress can alter one's menstrual cycle.  

Make an appt to see your ob/gyn.  A timely evaluation is important.

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
5 months that is a long time,do you have any signs of pregnancy,if not or in either case i think you should see a Dr for some investigation.stress can delay our periods,but not for usually that long.
im going through something like that ..but a little bit more weirder see my last period was on aug 2 i've missed it on sep and oct ...
yes i took a couple of HPT  the first one came out positive but the rest and even the blood test came out negative and it is now oct 24 and still no period .. i've always had regular periods its always on time.. yes i was trying to get pregnant i actually had some pregnancy signs like my breast were more heavier and sore , i was going to the bathroom more often , i've weight and im sleepless at night
im not going through any stress just normal stuff . and that i know of i dont have any health problems .. so i dont know what could be the problem ..
well if anyone have any advice please comment .  thank you
I had a similar experience at about your age:  I was 18 and went out of state for my first year of college.  I didn't have a period the entire year.  I think it was around 13 months.  I don't know why it took me so long to go to the gyno.  I was a virgin and had never been.  He did all the same tests -- thyroid, etc.  He eventually said I had low estrogen (but I was never really convinced he was all that sure...he seemed mystefied) and prescribed birth control pills to bring my estrogen back to normal and to give me a period again.  I took them for around a year or a year and a half, then quit, and my period's been normal on its own now for 7 years.  I think it was stress, and just all the life changes.  I had also started jogging a mile or two a day.  Good luck -- try not to stress and enjoy the fact that you don't have cramps right now!
My fiance and i have not had sex ever.  She is a virgin as am I.  Can she get pregnant if She masturbated me, and I wiped the semen off of my hand with a napkin, then masturbated her roughly twenty minutes after? My hands were wiped off, but she has been nauseous the past day or two. So we're nervous.  I'm not sure if her feeling queasy could be because she is so nervous.  She only slightly vomited yesterday and has not actually vomited since.  Just feels queasy and is uneasy about eating.  Is there a chance that seh might in fact be pregnant??
A related discussion, Missing Period was started.