Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Missed period

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Missed period

Hello And thanks for helping me...

I am a 33 year old female with 4 previous pregnancies. Three live births, (2003, 2006, 2009)
Miscarriage in 1997 at 8 weeks gestation.

I am sexually active and in a monogamous relationship for 2 years.

My last period was on February 15th and lasted 4 days and every day there were blood clots larger than quarter size.  This was very strange for me.
My cycle is usually quite regular (28 days). Since my last period on Feb 15th, I have been experiencing symptoms which include extreme exhaustion, moodiness and feeling very teary at the slightest things. I went to a dr and she put me on the pill. However I don't feel any relief from the symptoms at all. Actually I have been feeling worse. My mood has worsened and I'm still tired. I have cloudy thinking and can't seem to find motivation to do anything.
I took 4 pregnancies test this far and all have been negative.
Your suggestions are appreciated!

Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you that pregnancy is probably NOT the cause of your symptoms.  It does sound like you may have had some hormone shifts recently though, and that could cause similar symptoms.  The oral contraceptive pills should help with the clots and help to regulate your cycle.  They can tend to cause side effects similar to the ones you describe, however.  If you were my patient, I might advise you to discontinue the pill after 2-3 months to see what your one or two natural cycles would be like--the pill may help get you back to baseline.
Good luck!
Dr B
Good luck!
Dr B
Thanks so much for your input and the time you took to respond.
Hopefully my hormones will regulate soon!
Thanks for the support