Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Ovulation cycles

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Ovulation cycles

Dear Dr,

You answered a question for me on Galactorrhea. My Dr got back to me and said that my prolactin and TSH levels were normal. She has put me on a dose of Dostinext of 0.5mg every 3 days for a month. The tablets (I assume) are making me dopey, I have nosebleeds, dizziness and nausea. It's making working very difficult. She gave them to me as I was still having breast milk despite no longer breast feeding for the last 5 months and my periods were very irregular and my Dr said I wasn't ovulating. My milk, from what I can tell, has stopped, and I have another 6 tablets to take, will the pills kickstart my ovulation? Should I use a barrier method of contraceptive whilst I'm taking them? My Dr said if I don't conceive in the next 2 months then to go back from more tests. Is this a reasonable time frame or should I expect it to take longer? My husband and I had been trying to conceive for a year before we went to our OB and she put me on the Dostinex. I'd appreciate any info you can give me?

Many thanks,

Melissa
Hi!
You are correct that the pills can cause nausea and dizziness.  If your milk has stopped, that should be a good sign.  I think that two months is a reasonable amount of time to wait for your periods to regulate, I would be surprised if you were able to conceive SO quickly, but I guess one never knows!  Once your cycles are regular, it will confirm that you are ovulating. I don't think you need to worry about birth control during the short interval on Dostinex.  
If you were my patient, I would consider the next step to be ovulation predictors--I would have you start using them with your next menstrual period.  I would then want to check a progesterone level for you on cycle day 21.  If you don't start ovulating/regular cycles, I would consider using Femara for a cycle or two.
Hope this helps!
Dr B