Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
PLEASE HELP - am having problems after prolapse surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Hello:

I had surgery 4 weeks ago which involved an anterior and posterior repair for rectocele and cystocele, as well as insertion of a mesh sling for stress incontinence.  Immediately after the surgery, I noticed that my abdomen was quite distended (I look about 4 or 5 months pregnant) and also noticed that I was feeling pressure in my upper abdomen. I called the surgeon (who, by the way, is a world-renowned expert in these types of surgeries) and he told me that my symptoms (abdominal swelling and pressure) are not likely associated with the surgery.  I know for a fact that they are a result of the surgery.  The swelling starts just above my pubic bone and goes all the way up to my upper abdomen.  Twice in the past 4 weeks, I've thrown due to the pressure/swelling in my abdomen.  And last night, I had such severe abdominal pain that I ended up going to the emergency room.  A CT scan and x-ray done at the emergency room showed no obstruction or anything else that would be a cause for concern.  In addition, my blood test came back normal and didn't indicate any kind of infection.  The urogynecologist that did the original surgery now wants me to have a laparascopy to see what's going on even though he's pretty insistent in telling that me that he's never heard of anyone getting a swollen abdomen from prolapse/incontinence repair and says he wasn't anywhere near my abdomen (he made his incision in my pubic hair).  Am I crazy?  Please help b/c I'm extremely uncomfortable and want to get the bottom of this so that I can figure out what's causing the swelling and pressure.  Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
HI!
Before you go through another surgery, be absolutely sure to clean out your bowels.  Almost 90% of my patients suffer from consitpation and distension after surgery.  This is due to the anesthetic and the pain relievers.  I frequently have to re-hospitalize people to get them "going" again.  Things to try:  Senekot; magnesium citrate; Miralax; Oral Fleets (this works best).  Drink tons of water too.  Even if you think I am wrong--do yourself a big favor and prove it!  If it works you will save yourself a ton of time and another surgery!  You may be amazed at the amount of gas and feces that can build up after surgery.  I'm surprised that your world's expert surgeon hasn't considered this possibility!  
Good luck!
Dr B
Hi i had the same op 7 days ago and suffered the same pain. Are taking diclafenic tablets as these are the cause, main side affect is stomach gas a severe pain. I stopped and gas and pain gone but do have really bad pain in op site, as my op all done thtough vagina. Also i feel very weak all the time and can not sleep.
How are you feeling now?
Sam
Hi i had this operation two weeks ago and am feeling a very large lump in my vagina, like a tampon is stuck and trying to get out, thats only way i can describe it, my mum thinks its just swelling as its healing but im not sure towards the end of the day i cant bare to sit stand etc all i wanna do is rock on all fours like i was pregnant, and yes i had and still have a swollen tummy its gases fro the op it will take about 6 to 8 weeks to ease please can u tell me if ur having the same feelings? im worried i have done something like pulled stitches out as i have had some deep stichting done the surgeon says thank you Angie
A related discussion, rear prolapse repair was started.
A related discussion, Posteria Prolapse repair and Spotting was started.