Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Pain with Filshie Clips

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Pain with Filshie Clips

Hi all, I've got a question.  I am almost 32, mother of 3 boys - all via c-section.  My last child was born in November 2009.  At that time, I had Filshie clips placed.  Since that time, I have been in constant pain in the area of the incision and my ovaries.  My doctor placed 2 clips on each tube because she stated that "sometimes they fall off".  Okay, fine.  However, this is ridiculous.  I am four months postop this Thursday and still cannot wear jeans because of the pain.  My whole pelvic region is tender to the touch, and I have the normal burning sensation after surgery along my incision.  But the outside is still really sore too, like there is inflammation in there.  

With my previous two c-sections, I was wearing my jeans again within 6 - 8 weeks.  I am aware that the third time around, it might take longer to heal, but c'mon..  4 months??  I am not scheduled to see her again until May, but since having my baby, I have heard of other's having problems after surgery with her...  (DH and I just moved here in August, and she was recommended to me by my MIL; however, my MIL had a hysterectomy by her, and has had pain since her surgery as well, which was almost 2 years ago.)  

Here are my questions:

1)  Is it normal to be in pain for this long after a third c-section, or is it likley the clips??  My guess, going by my own experience, is that the clips are the culprit for my constant pain.  

2)  Has anyone had them removed due to inflammation/irritation/allergic reaction?  If so, did your insurance cover this?  I am about to demand they be removed when I see her.  Even if I do have to pay for it and make payments for life.  I cannot live like this!  I have three kids!!!  

TIA and sorry for venting.  I just cannot stand to be this uncomfortable any longer.  I wasn't like this with my other two, and am a very active person.  
Hi!
I'm sorry to hear that you are so uncomfortable!  You are correct in believing that you should be well on the road to recovery by now.  I always advise my patients that it takes about 6 months for complete recovery.  My guess is that you have developed adhesions (scar tissue) possibly due to the clips or possibly due to the fact that you have had several surgeries.  If you were my patient, I would offer you the option of injecting the incision with a combination of lidocaine and cortisone to see if that would offer any relief.  If not, I would consider laparoscopy to remove scar tissue and or clips.
If the surgery is done for pain, it should be covered by insurance. The tubal could be re-done using cautery if necessary.  By the way, if it is adhesions, that is just bad luck and not your doctor's technique.  
Hope this helps!
Dr B
Hi!  
Thank you for answering my question!  You mentioned scar tissue, and I do recall that after my second son was born I was having pain in the area of my right ovary, and my doctor at that time did tell me that it was likely that I had scar tissue/adhesions in the area.  She did tell me then also, that they could go in to reduce the adhesions, but it was likely that I would develop more scar tissue.  However, at this point, with what you have said, I will ask my current doctor about an adhesiotomy.  I will probably ask to have the clips removed as well, and use pill contraception in its place because I have also read that TLs tend to worsen the menses, and that is something I am also concerned about, and was going to ask for anyway, even leaving the clips in place.  

Thank you so very much for your time and response!  
A related discussion, filshie clip removal was started.