Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Painful Orgasms - Please help...

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Painful Orgasms - Please help...

My name is Danielle and I am 32 years old, married with no children. Sometimes I feel bloated, tired and I am experiencing changes in my bowel habits (loose/soft stools). I also have history of abnormal paps (ASCUS) and the HPV exams are always negative and colposcopy results were normal.

Also, since months ago, I am experiencing painful orgasms, cramps like pain that lasts a few seconds after the orgasm. Even without penetration.

What is that? Can it be endometriosis?

Please help. I did a sonogram last week and my doctor said that I had a small cyst that it will go away by it self. She did not see anything else. Regarding the pain, she said that it could be muscle spasms.

What kinds of exams should I ask for?

Thanks for your help.
Hi!  You might also consider looking at the sexuality and relationships forum.
I think it is entirely possible that you have endometriosis or maybe pelvic adhesions (scar tissue) causing your symptoms. The only way to find out for sure is laparoscopy which is a minor surgery.  (Endometriosis and scar tissue don't show up on ultrasound unfortunately).  So I would first ask my patient if the problem is frequent enough and painful enough to consider surgery, and if she said yes--I'd take a look in there.

One thing to try might be 200-600mg of ibuprofen 30 minutes before intercourse--How ROMANTIC! But it might help!

Good luck!

Dr B
Also, my STD exam results were clean.
Can the cramps during orgasm be a result of lack of blood in the area or vasocongestion? I do not feel everytime...

Are the cramps due to the small ovarian cyst that my doctor found?

I just do not want to think that I have PID or Endo and there is nothing else to do - only surgery.

If all my exames (std, colposcopy, hpv) are normal, why I am having abnormal paps since 2006? I always make sure that I do not have sex 48 hours before the exame.

Can this nothing? Maybe stress? Or is something that I need to investigate?

Also, my periods are regular and not painful.

Thanks, Danielle