Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Period for 7 months straight

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Period for 7 months straight

Hi there,

I'm a 26 year old female with PCOS. After 5 years of trying to conceive, I had my son. He is now almost 21 months old. I breastfed him until he was 15 months old. When he was about 13 months old (December), I finally got my period after not having any at all since he was born. Since then, it hasn't really stopped for more than a day or so at a time. I am not always bleeding heavy, sometimes it is just spotting, but it has been 7 months now with no end in sight. Also, on a couple occasions, I passed very large clots. Twice they were maybe just a little smaller than my closed fist. I have had pain/aching that accompanies my period. It usually isn't very bad but they don't feel like normal menstrual cramps. It has only been on my one side in my pelvic region. Is this something that is normal when you get your period for the first time postpartum? I'm usually the exact opposite of this and don't get my period more than once or twice a year without medication. Before my pregnancy, I was taking Metformin 500mg twice a day. I stopped taking it 12 weeks into my pregnancy and have not been back on it since (although I am trying to get back on it but I moved and need a new doctor). I am not on any form of birth control as my husband and I are not sexually active for obvious reasons. I also would like to avoid going on hormonal birth control as it doesn't seem to agree with me very well. I haven't seen a doctor yet because initially I thought that it was normal because it was my first postpartum period. I do intend to see a doctor soon, but I am curious as to whether or not this is normal. If not, what questions should I be asking my doctor when I go see one?

Thank you very much for your time!
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would want to see you and treat you for what is NOT a normal first period.  It likely IS the PCOS causing problems again.  I would probably consider an ultrasound first to look at the uterus and rule out retained products of conception (very unlikely) and also to see whether the lining of your uterus is thin or thick.  Depending upon what I saw on the scan, I might want to treat with progesterone for 10-14 days as a starting point.  1-3 months of birth control might also be worthwhile to get your cycle under control.
I definitely recommend seeing a doctor in your new location!
Dr B
I should also mention that my son was an emergency C-Section.