Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Periods Causing Me To Vomit And Pass Out.

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

I'm a 17 year old female and for about a year now I've had severe problems with my period. I'm sent home every month from school when I pass out, go into a cold sweat and vomit from the pain of period cramps. Today once again it happened and I've been to the doctor several times trying 2 different types of painkillers that stop the bleeding quicker (can't remember the names) and have also been on the pill to no avail. My periods are very irregular usually every 3- 7 weeks occasionally I have 2 in 6 weeks and usually last 10 days. My flow is very heavy having to change an Extra Super Tampon around every hour - 2 hours. As a consequence I end up anemic and find that for those 10 days in the month I can't do anything. What are my options? I do want to have kids in the future but I would describe the cramp as what I imagine contractions feel like. Today I counted. I got 14 seconds relief and I was back to the excruciating pain. Its scary - people think I'm exaggerating when I say I feel like I could die from the pain. Please help.

Thanks. Elspeth.
Hi!
When I was a kid, I had a few bad ones too--I believe you!
You may simply have primary dysmenorrhea, in which case, you will grow out of it.
In the meantime, if you were my patient, I would tell you to take Aleve from the very first hint that your period was starting, around the clock until it was completely gone.
IMPORTANT to start BEFORE the pain hits.

It might also be endometriosis.  I would offer you a laparoscopy for diagnosis and possible laser surgery to remove endometriosis.

Something that would probably REALLY help is birth control pills.  They work wonders to make your periods regular, lighter, and less painful.  If you were my patient, I would really encourage you to try them.  They also protect your female organs from the damage that endometriosis can do.

Good luck!
Dr B
Hey,
Thank you for your quick reply :).

I was on birth control for quite a while and it did regulate my periods but I was still fainting and vomiting so I was given 2 types of painkillers which were acids or something that were supposed to stop the bleeding therefore reducing the pain but I still continued to collapse. The pain usually starts the day before or right as I start to bleed.

What is endometriosis? I googled it but didn't really understand.
And Aleve is .. ?

I just want to be able to live my life without worrying once a month when I'm going to faint and vomit and sweat like a pig! It really worries my mum and my boyfriend. But I can't take it anymore. I'm becoming scared of my period.  

Thank you very much for your help. At least I get some answers here. GP's have given up on me here!

Elspeth.
Hi there, I don't have any answers for you, but I just wanted to let you know I go through the same thing every month and have since I first began my adventure into womanhood when I was 13, I'm 23 now and still have no answers. Luckly, I haven't fainted in about a year or so. I have been to a few drs but it seems like  all they hear is me say period and it's like they zone out from there telling me to take advil and get rest yada, yada ya.. I was once prescribed napraxon but have stopped bothering bc it doesn't help, I haven't been lucky enough to get any painkillers. And I have always optted out for birthcontrol bc I already have very poor circulation and my dad died of a blood clot, plus I work for an attornies office that specializes on product liabilty and have seen way to many situations were birth control was not a girls friend. A steaming hot bath is my only hope in these times. I too discribe my pains as contractions though I don't know what they feel like but if it's anything close to my periods then I believe I will be able to delivery my babies all natural. :)
I have a few suggestions to look into w/  your dr.s, I am doing the same. These are things I have researched myself

-iron deficency: get blood work done on and off period
-cyst on ovary
-endometriosis: this could lead to not being able to have children, I recomend asking about this better to be safe than sorry
these are just a few things to jott down to ask your dr, in the meantime I suggest investing in a heating pad, drinking red raspberry tea or taking as a suppliment I do both, yoga is a tremendous releif, when server "contraction" approaches if you lay on the floor w/ your legs tucked under you, knees and shins flat in the ground and just lay in (sorta) fetal position this (what I was told) helps passing  of clots which is what causes cramping. Also, in the same regards I find that if I wear a pad during the first day or two (or heaviest) it also helps the passing of clots. One more thing Is acupuncture. This is something you should do on a regular basis and will most deffinatly see results w/ in six months. Hope some of my input can help comfort you, but if not just know your not crazy and I feel your pain ;)
Thank You For Your Input.

I Went Back To The Doctor About 2 Weeks Ago Now And Shes Trying Me On A Different Type Of Birth Control Pill To See If It Will Work However .. I'm Now Quite Concerned It's Endometriosis. My Doctor Had Thought It Might Be That. Over The Past Few Days I've Had Cramp In My Legs Pain Especially Where My Ovaries Are And My Period Isn't Due. The Pain Tonight Is Moving Into My Back Tonight And I'm Pretty Uncomfortable.

I Think I'll Phone For An Appointment In The Morning.

If Tried Almost All Of What You've Suggested However I'm Willing To Try Anything!! I've Had Acupunture Before For A Different Problem So I'd Be Up For Doing That Again. I'll Give Some Of Them A Go. It's Nice To Know I'm Not The Only One. One Doctor Thought I Was Joking Til I Literally Threw Up All Over Him.

Thanks For The Advice. Hope You Have More Luck Than Me.
Take Care.
Elspeth x.
I know exactly how you feel, I feel like I am dying when I have cramps as well.  They are so excruciating that I also vomit and pass out every time I have my period.  I got on Kariva a birth control when o was 16, I am now 23 and I am on Ocella another BC pill now and could not be any happier.  Once in awhile I get a mild cramp but nothing like I used to, it's a complete change and now I am not worried about the dying pain of my period anymore.  I have not vomited or passed out since I have been on them.  You may need a stronger dose, I did.