Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Please help...

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Please help...

Hi, I've just had my 2nd colposcopy examination, and the doctor took a smear and a picture.  Should I be worried? On my first examination this wasn't done and he said all was fine, but also it didn't sting.  This time it did.  He didn't explain why he took a picture of my cervix and when he asked me if I had any q's after, I went blank and said no! I know he is going to call with results but he didn't say how long it would take either.  I would be grateful if you could explain a little more for me as to why he did this as it's making me worried Thank you
Hi!
Some doctors take pictures at colposcopy to document their findings for two reasons, the first is legal, the second is so that the appearance of the cervix can be compared to future findings.  Also, different doctors use different preparations on the cervix some use acetic acid (vinegar) which tends to sting quite abit.
Results generally take about 1-2 weeks depending upon the laboratory that is doing the evaluation.  If you haven't heard in that amount of time, I would encourage you to call!
Good luck!
Dr B