Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Pubic hair rapidly turning white

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Pubic hair rapidly turning white

I had my first baby by c-section last May. I was 29 years old. In June, I had a mirena IUD inserted. In August, I noticed that some of my pubic hair had started growing in white. Now, six months later, it is 75% white. The hair on my head is still completely brown.

What on Earth could be happening? This is very humiliating to me and I am worried something is wrong with my health but have been too afraid to ask a doctor.  
Hi!
Sorry for the delay!
Pubic hair usually turns white for the same reasons as other body hair -- it is simply caused by aging of the hair follicles and deposition of less melanin in the hair shaft.  I don't have a good explanation for why your hair would be white there and not elsewhere.  There is a strong hereditary component to hair graying, so you might ask family members if something simlar happened to them.  I suppose you could shave or dye(?) the hair if it bothers you. One other possibility would be vitiligo -- this should also affect the skin in the area.  Don't be afraid to ask your doctor!
Good luck!
Dr B