Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Question about Painless Breast 'lump'

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Question about Painless Breast 'lump'

If this is the wrong forum I apologize, I could not find an oncology one or breast cancer one to ask in.

I am a 44yo with no family history of breast cancer and a pretty complicated medical history and am very prone to follicutitis and cellulitis and thought that the lump on my breast was another case of one or the other of those, but there are some marked differences in this lump that have me a bit concerned.

It is slightly larger than a quarter and irregular in shape, red, warm and painless (the painless part is a concern because my folliculitis and cellulitis is always painful) and there is no sign of an abcess (abscess) at all.  It started out looking like a small folliculitis but grew very fast and an area about 4 inches across was irritated looking (pinkened, slightly puffy) but that area has grown smaller leaving the red lump that is the slightly larger than a quarter with irregular shape (more of very thick skin, unmovable, feels about 3/4 to 1cm thick) that keeps peeling and it is itchy.

It is on the side of my breast and not the nipple, the skin over it looks almost like cellophane... there has never been any drainage from it at all and has a firm silicone/rubbery feel to it.

I am disabled and getting to the Dr is difficult but I need to know if this is something that is alarming and should be checked ASAP or if it is something that can be monitored at home for a while longer to see if it resolves on it's own and I should see a Dr in a week or two if it does not improve.

It has been about 2 weeks so far that I have had this.

Thank you for any help.
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you that I need to see you ASAP.  I would recommend a mammogram and breast exam.  I would try to set everything up so that if you needed fine needle aspiration, or ultrasound or any other testing done, it could all be done with one visit.
I would want to see you though--not anything to mess around with!
Good luck!
Dr B
It has grown larger, the thickened area now about the size of a half dollar and because of that I have decided to call my PC on Monday (they are closed for the Holiday weekend) and was about to post that when I saw your reply.

Thank you for your reply... it eases my concern that I was just being paranoid and that this should get checked out and I will have it checked out within the coming week.
The lump turned out to be a gram negative staph infection, though my Dr wants to still do a biopsy because it is very slow in healing and did not respond well to the antibiotics making her think there is something under it that is preventing it from healing properly.