Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Question about getting tubes tied

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Question about getting tubes tied
I'am getting my tubes tied and someone told me that I will have heavier and longer periods, I had a baby Jan 24. and I bleed for 3 weeks and that had stopped and I started to bleed again and have been for 2 weeks now. My question is Do I get to look forward to having 2 week periods or do I have my old 5 day periods. Thank you for any help you can give.
I had heavier periods after my 2nd baby, thought it just went with the territory. Meantioned it in passing to gyn at checkup, turns out I needed a D&C.What a difference it made
I had my tubes tied December of 2004.  Yes most woman, not all, but most have heavier periods after a tubal.  Longer I don't know, mine was 6 days before tubal and now it is 5/6 days with.  Hope that helps.

Just a warning/advice.  

If you are truly done having children then the tubal is great.  But don't let anyone force you into it, make it be your decision, no one elses.  I was pushed into one by my friend and dr. and I have nothing but regret now 2 years later, with depression every now and then.  

Good Luck with your decision.  
I GOT MINE TIED I BLED FOR 4 AND A HALF MONTHS BEFORE GOING TO DOC AND GETTING A 1 MONTH SUPPLY OF BIRTH CONTROL, THAT WAS EIGHT YEARS AGO AND MY PERIODS ARE EVERY 28 DAYS AND ONLY THREE DAYS LONG. LIGHT ONES TOO

I AGREE. THERE ARE SO MANY CHOICES THESE DAYS. PLEASE BE SURE. I AM 31 YEARS OLD W/ A 13 AND 11 YEAR OLD, BOY AND GIRL. I GOT MINE TIED AT 23 WHEN THEY WERE 4 AND 6 AND I AM MARRIED NOW TO A MAN WHO HAS NONE OF HIS OWN. I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW BAD IT HURTS, ESPECIALLY SINCE I DID IT FOR ALL WRONG REASONS. I THOUGHT I WAS SO INDEPENDANT, I WOULDN'T MARRY A MAN W/ NO KIDS. WELL I DID AND THERE IS NOT ONE DAY THAT GOES BY THAT I DONT THINK ABOUT MY DECISION BACK THEN. I HAD MY KIDS AT 17 AND 19 AND WHEN I BROKE UP W/ THEIR DAD, I DID IT TO SHOW HIM ALL KINDS OF THINGS. WE ALL PAY LATER FOR OUR CHOICES TODAY. SORRY BOUT THIS . I JUST PRAY FOR YOU TO MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION.  I GOT MINE TIED I BLED FOR 4 AND A HALF MONTHS BEFORE GOING TO DOC AND GETTING A 1 MONTH SUPPLY OF BIRTH CONTROL, THAT WAS EIGHT YEARS AGO AND MY PERIODS ARE EVERY 28 DAYS AND ONLY THREE DAYS LONG. LIGHT ONES TOO.
I just happened to stumble across this post and wanted to share some information for anyone who might need it. There is a support group for women who had tubal ligations that they regret (whether it's because of post tubal ligation syndrome or because they may want more children in the future). The forums function as a support group in addition to it being a non-profit organization that raises funds for tubal ligation reversals.

The group is called Fit To Be Untied and you can find us here: http://www.fittobeuntied.com/ This link will take you directly to the forums http://www.fittobeuntied.com/forums

Regret can be a terrible thing. I had a very rough four years after my tubal ligation and I never "got over it." Some women do and they just need a little time to adjust. For those of us who continue living with the regret, it can really be an overwhelming burden at times. Hopefully this group will help those dealing with it.
I had my tubes tied after my 2nd son and my periods have gotten alot better. I usually only have a 4 day cycle compared to my 7 day when i was on the pill. I dont bleed heavy at all actually the opposite. I may have one day of heavy bleeding just like a normal cycle just much shorter. And no cramps either, I am thrilled with the results of mine and it was done 5 years ago.
A related discussion, Deciding weather or not to get my tubes tied was started.
A related discussion, confused?? was started.
A related discussion, regret my tubal ligation was started.