Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Recurring Hemorrhagic Ovarian Cysts

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Recurring Hemorrhagic Ovarian Cysts

I am 24 years old, and have been getting recurring hemorrhagic corpus luteum cysts for the past year or so.  The largest yet has been 7c.m. in my right ovary, and right now i have a 2.8cm cyst in my right ovary, and a 1.8cm cyst in my left ovary.  (this is the first cyst in my left ovary).  They are excrutiatingly painful.  I have had two laparoscopy with D+C.  There is no endometriosis.  The outside of both of my ovaries is fine, I always get the cysts inside of the ovary (lest the follicle where the corpus luteum tries to escape my ovary to go to the fallopian tube).
I have been referred to a pain clinic, but they can't get me in until after thanksgiving... and they're reluctant to give me more pain meds, because of how many I take... BUT I have been in this bad of pain on and off for a year.  The pain is bad enough to make me throw up and make me miss work.  
I also have pretty consistant diaharreah.  I have really bad abdominal pain mostly on the right side all the time.  it is very tender to the touch.  I am going next week Monday for a colonoscopy to check for Chron's Disease to try and explain the diaharreah and pain.

I have been on birth control to try and prevent the cysts from forming, and it is obviously not working.  My last cyst which was 4.9cm was just 6 weeks ago, which I had to have surgically drained as the ovary was filling with blood.  

What is the next step and how do i deal with the pain??  Would it be beneficial to remove that right ovary?  Since I get cysts every time I ovulate from that side??  Why did i product cysts on both ovaries this month?  I am getting very frustrated and tired, I'm always feeling sick, and I'm always in such terrible pain.  Would getting pregnant help to straighten this all out?

Someone please give me some advice.  If someone has felt what I am feeling, please let me know what you have been diagnosed with or how you were treated!!!

Some women are prone to form cysts are their ovaries and it is not clear why.  Often physicians try to manage this with the pill, however, current low dose pill formulations have not been proven to successfully suppress ovarian cyst formation.  You may be best served by surveillance u/s and pain management.  At your age I would not suggest ovarian removal (oophorectomy).  

Also, to help keep your care consistent I'd recommend you find one ob/gyn you like and trust to manage this issue for you.  

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
I feel for you, Just this summer I was diagnosed with endometriosis. I had painful periods but I assumed that it was just as painful as anyone elses but that it flaired my fibromyalgia pain and that was why it had me laid up and popping the ibuprofen. I didn't pay attention to it until I started bleeding for months at a time. I went to the GYN and he found one of the cysts and the blue endometrial tissue indicative of endometriosis. That weekend before the scheduled ultrasound, the pain of the cyst went to the roof. I was shaking from the pain and had to leave work. The ultrasound revealed 3 ovarian cysts, the largest being 4.5 cms. I recieved microgestin 1/20 birth control to stop my periods and ovulation. I had to wait a week for it to work, I also was not giving any pain medication (I can't take Nsaids, I develop gastritis and can't eat anything but crackers and water and I only weigh 105 lbs as it is) I used my emergency Fibro narcotic pain meds and when they ran out, I drank alcohol. I was very irritated with the doc for that. I went for the next ultrasound a month later, I told them that I had been passing blood clots. They found polyps, so they performed a DNC. I was then given narcotic pain meds, the fibromyalgia muscle problems can cause uterine cramping to be worse and I think this dawned on him after the endometrial biopsys and DNC. I forgave him. The doc found over 7 polyps, he lost count. I have had complete relief, no problems since. But if I miss even taking the pill one night, I'm menstruating and in terrible pain in the morning.

I understand the pain that you are feeling and you should have pain meds. As for the hysterectomy, you are young and you should have the choice to have children in the future. If you don't have ovaries, the aging process start sooner and that is not appealing either. Please let me know if you have any questions, If you live in my area, I can recommend my Dr.