Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Retroflexed Uterus

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Retroflexed Uterus

I went to my OB/GYN and was told when I was given my pelvic exam that my uterus has shifted. Through further explanation and illiustration I was able to understand exactly what that meant. I was referred to another OB/GYN for further testing I'm assuming to find out the cause and what my options are if any. My doctor did tell me that the problem can be corrected with surgery but that was all she could tell me. I feel like now I am part of a waiting game and I have no idea how long before I will be seen or when I will hear from the doctor I was referred to. So should I just wait ? And with waiting should I take precautions or continue on as I have been? Right now the only pain I experience is during intercourse and severe stomach and back pain from time to time on a weekly basis. I have been researching the topic on the internet but all post only explain what it is, what options I may have or how it is related to pregnancy but I'm not pregnant so most of the information is pointless. Can someone please HELP me with this? I'm worried to death and I don't know if  I need to be.
HI!
If you were my patient, I would need a lot more information from your doctor. If you have retroverted or retroflexed uterus, that is a normal condition.  About 30-40% of women have it.  The remainder have an anteverted or antiflexed uterus.  It just means that your uterus tips backward instead of forward.  That is why I would need more information--I wouldn't consider it an indication for any type of surgery.  In the old days, we sometimes did a "suspension" to "correct" the problem IF the patient had infertility, but we don't even do this anymore.
SO . . given what I have to go on,  I would advise you that no precautions are necessary and surgery probably be necessary either.
Good Luck!
Dr B