Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Severe pain in lower left quad during menstruation

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

2007 my complaint was I did have a dull pain in my left lower quadrant on the first day of my period. It was not every month. It alternated it seemed. Almost like feeling a bowel movement make its way through my body but it hurt. I have had only one sex partner my entire life.  While waiting for results, on the first flow day of my period the pain was back but was severe, caused a complete shake attack of my body and I sweat from every hair folicle I had. Was horrific, lock jaw etc.. and was taken to the ER.  2-3 hours later it was gone. Tests show ovarian neoplasms, went to obgyn oncologist and had my left ovary and tub removed. All path's came back benign. Been positive for HPV with no cells since 2006 which was first time ever tested for it. Teratoma's were 100% strumi (thyroid). I am overweight. April 2009 all the same symptoms are starting. I am bleeding after intercourse (bright red blood upon clean up), feel sensitive during digital penitration and during intercourse and dull pain on the left side. New tests show small cysts on the cervix and some in the right ovary but all very small.  Today I just experienced this horrific pain just as in 2007 (first day of period). I use that word because I have never felt anything like it. I chose to suffer through it at home knowing it would pass in 2 hours or so and it did.  In about 5 hours or so I will "deliver" a huge amount of clots as what happened last time.  The weird thing is, the pain is still on the left side. I have nothing there it was removed in 2007.  I have always said I think its intestinal but they show nothing.  I am pending a cervical biopsy as a result of years testing positive with hpv (supposedly auto immune patients bodies cant clear hpv). Could it be my body just trying to pass a cyst? I have never had a colonoscopy.  It seems so sad if there are people out there that have this degree of pain including myself. I look forward to your thoughts.
HI!
I think what you have is "contractions" or "labor pains".  If you have a big clot inside your uterus, your cervix has to open to let it out. In order to open you cervix, your uterus has to contract to expel the clots.  Having been through labor, I think the only word strong enough to describe that pain is HORRIFIC.

You are probably correct about the bowel as well. Your uterus is producing prostaglandins that cause the cramping, and also affect the bowel.  The prostaglandins affect the bowel by causing spasms, and even diarrhea.  Many women are constipated before the period due to progesterone, and have loose stools or diarrhea after it starts due to the prostaglandins.

There is one bit of good news--Ibuprofen, Naprosyn, and Aspirin all inhibit the formation of prostaglandins, and can really help with the pain! If you can predict when your period is due, or even start to notice small/mild crampy sensations, take a big dose then! (800mg ibuprofen is what I give my patients).  Acetomininophen does NOT work for this type of pain.

As for the HPV, just keep up with the paps and testing, and you won't ever face cervical cancer.  

Good luck!
Dr B
1 Comment
A related discussion, Pain in right side above hip bone was started.