Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Sharp Pelvic/Abdominal Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Sharp Pelvic/Abdominal Pain

For almost a year now I've noticed that my vaginal discharge has a different smell to it. During the year I've had to go get yeast infections treated two times. A few months ago, about a week before my period was due I started getting random sharp pains in my lower abdomen. My job is physical so twisting and bending a certain way would cause this so I started being careful. Days go on and the pain gets worse.
After sex is when it would become unbearable. I wouldn't notice anything during sex but soon after sometimes 20 minutes after the pain would start in my pelvis. I'd roll over to get comfortable and find the pain in my butt crack I'd twinge in pain and a jolt would shoot through my stomach. After finally coming to a plateau of pain, my entire abdomen, up to my breast bone, and around the ribs to my lower back would be in constant pain. Of course I'd tense up which made it worse.
This pain would last for up to 3 hours. One day when it was at it's peak I tried to get comfortable and a pain so strong shot through me I actually blacked out for a second. My vision literally went black. I stood up as best as I could and just stood there waiting it out. My husband wanted to take me to the ER but I didn't think I should because it all goes away eventually.
So this went on for 2 months. The first month not so bad and I associated it with constipation because I was having a problem with that. The second month was unbearable and I don't know what to think of it since I was defecating normally now.
I should also add that these pains started like I said about a week before my period was due and during and after my period they would not happen again.
It has been a few months and I have not had this problem any more but I can't help but think if this is something I should still get looked at for. When I went in for the yeast infections, they looked in my vagina and said my cervix was a healthy pink (thought it was important to add).
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would want you to call me right away.  I would be very concerned that you might have a cyst on your ovary that is twisting intermittently.  This can happen at random times, but is particularly likely after intercourse.  Usually the cysts are benign, but if your ovary twists and doesn't untwist, you will need emergency surgery.  Of course I am not certain that this is what is going on, but I would certainly want to do an ultrasound and exam to check things out.
YES, you need to be evaluated!
Good luck!
Dr B