Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Shrinking Uterus??

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Shrinking Uterus??

My wife and i have been through 2 failed ivf cycles.  All of our #'s always come back well, good embryos etc....  Last cycle my wifes Uterus wall reached an 8 in depth.   We would always like to see it thicker, but it has been suffiecient.
Before we started trying to get pregnant about 2 yrs ago< my wife had a pretty aggresive (aggressive) DNC.  We had an HSG a year ago, there was no major scarring or adhessiions inside the uterus.  
In looking for more answers we have recently undegone another HSG.  The dr has said that her uterus is noticiably shrunken, and he feels a surrogate would be best as she can not conceive.  This was shocking new to say the least.  The dr said he has never seen this before.  

The dr explained that the muscles surround the uterus seem to be the problem as they have tensed, pushing on the uterus.  my wife does experince intense pain during these procedures, a year ago she had no pain during the procedure.  have you ever hear of anyting like this?
Hi!  It always concerns me when a Dr has never seen something before--that is when I  want to get an opinion from a Dr who HAS seen it.  Certainly before going through all the logistics of getting a surrogate, I would have my patient request copies of her films and get an opinion from a Dr at a big center like Sher reproductive,or Zouves Reproductive or a university center, etc.

Now-a-days, this is even easier to do, as most films are on computer, and a CD can be burned and easily transported.

What you describe sounds most like either spasm of the uterus caused by the procedure itself--sometimes the dye acts as an irritant and causes the uterus to contract; when this happens fallopian tubes that truly are open can appear closed, for example. This should be reversible, and would not be a hopeless sign.

Or, the other possibility would be Asherman's syndorme, which is scarring of the lining of the uterus, and can result in shrinking of the cavity as parts of it stick together with adhesions.  This is obviously a bigger problem, but can still be treated with hysteroscopy, hormones, etc.

A saline ultrasound might be able to distinguish the difference too. At a miminum, I would send my patient for a second opinion. If another doctor who HAS seen this before agrees, then you know what you have to do!

Good Luck to you!

Dr B
I wont to know if my uterus can be shrank. My doctor tells me that my uteus is very in large and  I need to have a Hysterectomy. He also said that i have got to be cut from my   tummy down. I dont want to be cut this way . I ask him if he can shrink my uterus and remove the fibroids from the wall in back of my vigina (vagina), Of shrink and give me a hysterectomy bikini cut under my navel. help what should i do i need some advice quick.