Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Swollen Labia? Please help!

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Swollen Labia? Please help!

I've never really looked down there. But when I open my legs I seemed to notice my labia a lot more than usual. It seemed swollen. It kind of stood out more and showed... But I'm not sure if it is really swollen. I'm on my period!! I'm 15 years old. Virgin. I don't feel pain but lately my private area has been bothering me. It itches slightly sometimes but it doesn't hurt. I feel like I notice every little thing that I feel on my vagina because I noticed my labia looking like that.

I don't know if it's normal, or if I should see a gyno. It doesn't bother me to the point where I have to stop and itch. Very slight. I've been reading different posts about yeast infections, swollen labias, and other things. But I'm not sure if this is something to be concerned about. I don't want to bother my parents and make them concerned and bring me to a gynecologist for nothing.

Overall, a little itch, and my labia seems to show more just when I open my legs and look. It's not wrinkly like other people may say.
HI!
If you were my patient, I would say, come in an let me take a look.  You are probably very normal for your age.  The itch could represent a yeast infection, and that would be diagnosed by taking a swab from the vaginal area and checking it under the microscope.  You would not need a pap for any reason. It is probably better to go to the doctor and get checked than to worry constantly that something is wrong!
Good luck!
Dr B
Please note that I am talking about my LEFT LABIA ONLY thankyou!
Hi. Thankyou so much for answering. My mom doesn't want to take me to a gyno because they are never available in my city. Takes months to get an appointment. She says it's completely normal and will go away. But since I have high anxiety, I'm still worried. What if it becomes worse and develops into a tumor or something? Sorry, I may be overreacting a little but I just want to know that it'll be okay.

Yesterday, I didn't find myself feeling itchy there. Only a little suddenly. But at night it itch, and was really bothering me. Also, does this affect how you orgasm? I think I unpurposely had an orgasm because of one of my dreams and I never really had orgasms. I dont even know how theyre supposed to feel!! But it was a sexual dream and I woke up. My vagina kind of hurt but felt good at the same time?! I don't know how to explain it. Please help me!