Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Thick uterine lining - why?

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Thick uterine lining - why?
I so hope you can provide some insight about what I am facing. I'm 33 and I've been having pain in my pelvis and pain with urination for several weeks (it feels like I'm having a muscle spasm after urinating).

My doctor performed pelvic and vaginal ultrasounds, and I got the results today. Everything is normal except my uterine lining is abnormally thick. The doctor now wants to do a saline ultrasound to "check for abnormal growths and polyps". I have to wait several weeks for the test to be done, and am very scared. I specifically asked if "growths" meant cancer (my biggest fear!!!) and the nurse told me they were absolutely NOT concerned about that.

What conditions cause abnormally thick lining and the symptoms I'm having? My periods are quite regular and my bleeding is not heavy but I do have AWFUL cramps each month. Any advice and guidance you can offer will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

There is no normal range of endometrial thickness for a menstruating women (as opposed to a postmenopausal woman).  At your age, if you are having regular periods the ultrasound finding likely represents a polyp or fibroid.  Abnormal growth or cancer would be highly unusual in the absence of significant risk factors (such as morbid obesity, anovulation, family history).

You should talk to your physician about what his or her concerns are.

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
A related discussion, THICKNESS OF THE ENDOMETRIAL LINING was started.
A related discussion, Thickness in Uterus lining was started.
A related discussion, 2cm think lining uterus was started.