Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Thickened Uterine Lining

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Thickened Uterine Lining

My daughter has had some bleeding between periods.  We have a history in the family of fibroid tumors.  This is what she was expecting when her doctor told her that she did have a few fibroids but that they were small.  The thing that her doctor wants to check is that the lining of her Uterus is thickened.  Of course the first thing you think is Cancer.
She just had a baby girl 7 months ago and her pap and everything came back normal.  She is going for a D&C next Tues.  Of course between now and then I'm trying to assure her that all is o.k and not to worry.  She is 37 years old and has 3 children and there is no history of this cancer or endometriosis in the family.
Hi!

The type of uterine cancer that we see most often is endometrial cancer, and given her age and the fact that she had a baby not long ago, the chance of that type of cancer is almost zero. Even hyperplasia which is what we usually find when the "lining is thickened" is pretty unlikely--hyperplasia is pre-cancerous and caused by hormone imbalance.

It is  possible that there is still some residual tissue left over from delivery, although this seems unlikely this much later.

The most probable diagnosis is going to be a submucosal fibroid or a polyp, both of those are benign, and the cure is a D&C. Endometritis, or low grade infection of the uterine lining would also be up high on my list of  diferential diagnoses--this is treated with antibiotics and diagnosed with D&C.

To be complete, I should mention the possibility of gestational trophoblastic disease, which is an EXTREMELY rare growth of placental tissues that happens after a baby is delivered. Very rarely some cells of the placenta continue to grow instead of sloughing off. This is SO uncommon that it is hardly even worth mentioning, and definitely not worth worrying about.

Hope all goes well with surgery.  Are you babysitting while she goes in?  Good luck!

Dr B
Yes, I am babysitting for her.  We have to pick up the older brother from High School,
the other older brother from private school, and the baby from daycare.  Then run the two boys for a haircut.  Needless to say, Grandma will be busy.
A related discussion, thickening of the uterus lining was started.