Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Thickened endometrial stripe
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Thickened endometrial stripe

Hello!  I am 41, have 3 kids, still having very regular periods that are ovulatory (I chart my BBT, and show strong thermal shifts).  I was having some mild pelvic pain and pressure.  The NP sent me for an ultrasound, and the reults came back that I have a thickened endometrial stripe that measures 19mm.  I have had some increased vaginal discharge, but it was not like a yeast or other infection.  What could be causing this?  Should I worry about cancer?  Thank you for any information.
Related Discussions
242596_tn?1192429549
Hello,

In a regularly menstruating woman, there is no "normal" thickness for an endometrial stripe (in postmenopausal women we consider normal <5mm).  For menstruating women the measurement will vary significantly depending upon the phase of the cycle they are in.  So, unless you begin to experience irregular periods (i.e., heavier menses or bleeding/spotting) in between menses, I would think nothing of the finding.  

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
1 Comment
Blank
233053_tn?1321647421
A related discussion, spotting was started.
Blank
Hi.I am 38 yrs old & am concern because for the last 2 months I've experienced cramps off & on between periods. I have no bleeding between periods but have heavy periods. I had an ultrasound which revealed multiple fibroids & an right ovarian cyst. I am having another ultrasound in about a month as suggested by my GYN.  I had a normal pap & all tests for sexual infections came back negative. The first ultrasound showed by endometrial stripe to be 17mm but my GYN said that was normal for the stage of my cycle I was at. I am very worried because I went to my doctor originally for back pain and now the back pain is better but now I'm having this cramping. Could it be due to the cyst or fibroids?  
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
603463_tn?1220630455
Elaine Brown, MDBlank
Elaine Brown, MD - BLOG
Billings, MT
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now