Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Thickened uterine lining

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Thickened uterine lining
First, I am a 32 year old oral cancer survivor, and had no risk factors for that.  Well, when I went to my yearly check-up in early May I was told I had an enlarged uterus.  Two weeks later we had an U/s done of the uterus and nothing larming showed up, but given my history my Dr. still wanted to absolutely sure nothing was wrong.  Yesterday I had a hysterocopy with Dand C. It was under general anesthesia.  He told me husband that I had a thickened uterine lining and they were sending it of to pathology, but he did not see anything to worry about.  I have heard that before when I found out I had oral cancer.  Anyway, what is meant by a thickened lining and can stress be the culprit?  I know that there this potential for hyperplasis as I have done my research.  
Hi!
A thickened uterine lining usually results from irregular periods.  Irregular periods can result from stress, so, in a round about way stress could be the culprit.

Typically what happens is something like this:
Ovaries don't ovulate regularly and therefore insufficient progesterone is produced.  The chronic stimulation of the uterine lining (due to estrogen without the benefit of progesterone) causes it to thicken.  Ultimately this usually results in abnormal bleeding.
Most of the time there is too much bleeding after awhile of having minimal or none.
If the lining continues to thicken over a period of years it can become hyperplastic or pre-cancerous.  If it continues even longer, it can become cancerous.

It is possible to break this cycle by giving oral hormones such as provera or birth control pills, so I would definitely speak to you about those options. Another good idea is the Mirena intrauterine contraceptive device.  That works very nicely to protect the uterine lining.

The biopsy that the doctor did should be diagnostic.  Good luck!

Dr B
Thank you for your response.  I did get the results back and there were some polyps in that thickened lining.  I go back for my two week post-op on Thursday and plan on talking to my OBGYN about an IUD.  I am on orthocyclene right now, and was just put on it the beginning of May as we can not have any children for awhile.  I am really looking into the IUD possibility, because i am not good at remembering to take a pill every night.  I do know that I had a progesterone deficiency with my third pregnancy (2nd child) and have be place on progesterone suppositories.
I have always had heavy cycles, but nothing abnormal for me.