Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Urine from the vagina?

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Urine from the vagina?

Hello - I am 36 with three children. My youngest is 1 1/2. I think I have had this issue since her birth, but cannot say for sure....I never paid close attention. The problem is that when I tinkle...urinate....I am 99.9% positive that the urine is NOT coming out of the right spot. I have tried pinching the top and the urine comes out of what seems to be my vagina. Today I tried tugging at the top....just above where the urine should come out of....I could 'see' the tinkler...! So if I were to tinkle out of where I SHOULD be tinkling....I should have made a mess! The urine came out below....through the labia. It's stressing me out as I do not currently have health insurance. I originally thought perhaps it was a fistula....but I asked on another site and they said that since I have the 'urge to void', then it can't be a fistula. She suggested a tipped urethra? Does urine still come out the urethra when that happens? I just don't understand how the urine is coming out so low and seemingly from the vagina! Are there serious health risks with this problem? Any light that you can shed would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Tags: Vagina, urine
HI!
The other site has a good point.  Usually if there is a fistula, the urine would run out continuously and never stop.  The way to find out is to have an exam done.  If you were my patient, I would ask you to insert a tampon into the vagina, and then we would fill your bladder with blue dye.  We then usually have you walk around for 30 minutes and then remove the tampon.  If it is NOT blue, you don't have a fistula.  We could then insert a catheter into the bladder through the urethra to see if the blue dye drained out through the catheter.  It is not too unusual for someone with several children to have a tipped urethra. A tipped urethra still works fine, justs points downward or upward.

One thing that you could try--insert a tampon,(when your are NOT having your period) and then empty your bladder.  Only the string should be saturated.  If the tampon is saturated too, there is more of a problem.

I hope this helps!
Good luck!
Dr B
I don't understand what a 'tipped urethra' is.... will it seem as if the urine is coming out of the vagina with a tipped urethra? Isn't the hole (for lack of a better word) still at the top of everything? I'll try to tampon thing...and let you know how it goes. Thanks!
A related discussion, Urine and vagina was started.
A related discussion, urine out of the womb was started.
A related discussion, What are the symptoms of a tipped uretha? was started.