Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Utrus Removal

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Utrus Removal

What is the best way to remove the utrus without effecting the sexual activity since I have several utrus and my age is 45 years, some says that I should keep the Ovary, and lower part of the utrus in order to have normal sexual activity with my husband, I am warried that removing my utrus might distroy the happeness of our life, the fobroid on the utrus are more that 6 and effecting my back bone, please try to give me the clear answer with explanation in order to have clear Idea what shall I do, and how I can gurantee that the surgent can remove the right part and not effect the others
Hi!
Many people find that their sex life actually IMPROVES after a hysterectomy (removal of the uterus).  

Depending upon how big the fibroids are, you may not have a lot of options.  If the fibroids are very big, then the surgery will need to be done through an incision in the abdomen.  This does give you the opportunity to keep your cervix (the lower part of the uterus) Some people believe that the cervix is important for sexual function and pleasure.  The scientific evidence does not really support this view however.

More and more studies are showing that keeping the ovaries is the right thing to do.  They produce many different hormones that ARE important in sexual function, so if you have no family history of ovarian cancer--hang on to those guys.  You may wish to give your surgeon permission to remove them if they are not normal though.

As far as your cervix goes, (the lower part) you may want to consider the fact that if you keep it, you will still have to have pap smears every 1-3 years.  You won't if it is removed.
If you have ever had a "bad pap" you should probably have the cervix removed.  If your paps have always been good--I would lean toward keeping that guy too.  One other thing--sometimes if the cervix is left behind, you can have spotting almost like a period.

I hope this information is helpful!
Good luck!
Dr B