Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Vaginal Redness

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Vaginal Redness

For a little over a month, I have had vaginal redness in the external areas around the vagina.  It is just red with no lesions.  This was accompanied by a lot of itchiness.  Suspecting a yeast infection, I took three doses of of diflucan (150 mg) every three days.  When that did not help, I went to my doctor, and they put me on flagyl and a drug called Tergynan (which I believe is made in France).  It appears to be a combination of several things to treat yeast.  I had been experiencing a lot of itchiness, which appears to be getting better.  However, the external area around the vagina is still red like before.  

I think I am a bit nervous because I am living overseas in an area with substandard medical care.  I'll visit my gynecologist when I return in a couple of months to the US, but in the meantime, I'm quite anxious about this problem.  Based on this internet description, do you have any ideas what might be the cause, or do you have any suggestions of tests I should request the doctors here to run?

Thank you.

If you have not responded notably to anti-fungals, perhaps this is not yeast related.  Among other things to consider would be a type of dermatitis (e.g., a contact dermatitis or eczema).  In this case you will want to keep the vulvar area dry and to use toilet tissue and detergent free of any perfumes or lotions; also refrain from tight fitting clothes and wear cotton underwear only.  You may want to try a low to mid potency steroid cream, once in the morning and once at night for a week, and see if your symptoms improve.  

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
1 Comment
A related discussion, Vaginal redness what can I do was started.
A related discussion, what can I do to releive this was started.