Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Vaginal dryness/ Yeast Infection

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Vaginal dryness/ Yeast Infection
I recently married and sex is painful due to dry vagina. We waited till we married to have sex so I would really love help with this problem. I have reoccuring yeast infections so my doctor diagnosed a yeast infection and prescribed 10 days of Diflucan. She also prescribed Vag. Premarin everyday 1 gram for 6 weeks. I can't find any info about this other than for HRT. It also says to use it for as short a time as possible as it can increase the risk of cancer. I'm scared to use it because it says it causes yeast infections. I really don't want another one.  Also, do I really need estrogen for a dry vagina and pain? I don't have any other conditions that have been identified. Is the use of Premarin common in young girls? thanks

Yeast infections are very common in reproductive age women and often have no identifiable initiating factor.  Yes, higher levels of estrogen (for example, from being on the birth control pill) can be a risk factor for developing a yeast infection.   Standard treatment for an uncomplicated yeast infection might be a 1 time dose of Diflucan (150mg) by mouth, or a course of vaginal monistat cream (1, 3, 5 or 7 day treatment depending upon the preparation).

With respect to your vaginal dryness, if you are a regularly menstruating female with no evidence of ovarian failure (for example- hot flushes or missed menses) you should have ample endogenous (derived from your own body) estrogen.  I would encourage you to engage in adequate foreplay such that you are able to achieve maximal vaginal lubrication in preparation for intercourse; and you should set the tempo of intercourse to what is comfortable for your body.  Additionally, water based lubricants such as Astroglide and KY Jelly are available, and both are compatible with condoms.  

Best of luck,

Dr. Downing
A related discussion, Vaginal Dryness was started.