Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Vaginal odor
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Vaginal odor

I have noticed a bad odor lately.. Could this be caused by vaginal dryness? I am 57 & obviously post menopausal.  What could be the cause and how can I treat it?
Related Discussions
242596_tn?1192429549
Hello,

You should be seen by an ob/gyn.  A postmenopausal woman can still develop bacterial vaginosis and if sexually active trichomonas can present with malodorous discharge.  Another non-infectious cause could be atrophic vaginitis.  You'll need to be examined by an ob/gyn to ascertain the nature of your symptoms and the underlying cause.

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
2 Comments
Blank
Thanks so much for the prompt response. I checked the symptoms of both those conditions and they both should have a 'discharge' which I do not have at all. Plus, it is imtermittant, not consistant. And  I  have not been sexually active for nearly two years.
I did see my Obgyn in late Feb and it happened to be one of the days when the odor was not present nor  he did  notice anything amiss.  Pap was normal. Should I still see him about this?
Blank
A related discussion, does smoking cause a vaginal odor was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank