Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Vulva Biopsy
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Vulva Biopsy

I am having a vulva biopsy on Thursday 5/28.  I am wondering if this is painful.  How much pain can be expected?  Also, I am due for my period.  Will they be able to do the biopsy if I have my period?  If they can, will the results be accurate?  I appreciate any information I can get.  Thanks!
Related Discussions
603463_tn?1220630455
Hi!
I'm sorry to answer after the fact!  Most of the time, a vulvar biopsy is relatively minor.  They are usually done under local anesthetic which is injected with a very tiny needle.  The anesthetic is the worst part and can feel like a wasp or bee sting--sharp initially and then some burning.  This usually lasts no more than a few seconds.  The biopsy is usually pretty small--about the size of a pea or so.  It does get uncomfortable again when the anesthetic wears off, but I have never needed to prescribe pain relievers for anyone--just Motrin or Tylenol.  The biopsy site usually heals completely within a few days.  A biopsy does not necessarily need to be cancelled due to a menstrual period. The results should not be affected.  The only potential problem might be if the bleeding is heavy, and obscures the view of the lesion.  If the biopsy misses the lesion, you may not get good results.  If the bleeding is light and can be wiped away easily, and the lesion can be seen without difficulty, I don't forsee a problem.

I hope this is consistent with what you have already found out!
Good luck!
Dr B
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
603463_tn?1220630455
Elaine Brown, MDBlank
Elaine Brown, MD - BLOG
Billings, MT
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker