Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
What Is Causing My Spotting?

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

What Is Causing My Spotting?

I am just so confused about everything going on. I had a d&c at 9 weeks due to a blighted ovum on July 27. I received my first period on September 3 and ended on September 8. I began using ovulation test strips. I received a positive on September 11 and negative by the evening. I thought it was early to ovulate b.c prior my cycle would be 32-36 days, prior to miscarriage. I kept using the ovulation strips and received a positive on September 18 and negative by evening. Then another positive on September 19. On the 18&19 I have had brown spotting only sometimes when I wiped, nothing to go to pad. Late afternoon on the 19, the brown spotting turned more red (sorry for details). With that being said I am curious is I am having ovulation bleeding (that I never had before) b.c this would be timeing for ovulation with my usual 32-36 day cycle? Or is it implantation bleeding (which I didn't have with blighted ovum) since it was 8 days after ovulation and those other tests are positive in the early afternoon b.c they are detecting hcg rather than lh? Or could it be my second period only 16 days after first period? I would like to thank you in advanced for all your input, I just don't know what to think anymore...
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would say that it is difficult to interpret what exactly is going on.  Ovulation and bleeding tend to be a bit irregular after a miscarriage, although most often the regular cycle will resume within about 4-6 weeks.  In your case, I would check a pregnancy test right away.  I would then wait to see if this new bleeding is consistent with a period, or if it is not your usual pattern.  If it is like a regular period, I would then follow the new cycle.  If it is NOT similar to your normal period, I would wait to see what the next few weeks would bring.
Good luck!
Dr B