Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
What exactly is leiomyomatous changes in the uterus?

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

I am a 52 year old female who has had a hx of fibroids in the past.  A DNC was performed well over 20 years ago and have not had any problems until just recently.  Back in August, 2008, I woke up with severe pain and a super hot flash.    I went to the hospital where a CT scan was done showing lots of free fluid in the pelvic/abd. area.  I was told that I had a cyst on my (rt) ovary that had ruptured.  Recently I had a similar pain which again sent me to the ER room.  This was a little different as it radiated around to my back.  CT scan show everything to be normal except for a slightly prominent uterus which measures approx. 7x7cm.  The Dr. stated that this could represent a leiomyomatous change.  What exactly does that mean?  Menopause is around the corner and has been for approx. 1 year.  Is this part of pre-menopause?  Lately my periods are very light with a brown staining instead of the normal red blood.  It looks more like old blood.  They are still pretty much on schedule, but I seem to experience more abdominal cramping than I have in the past.  Should I be concerned enough to make an appointment with my OB/GYN?  Are fibroids dissolvable, or do they need to be surgically removed?    
Hi!

Hold on for menopause!  Your uterus is not very much larger than normal, in fact a normal uterus can be up to 8 cm in length. Leiomyomatous change means fibroids--another term for fibroid is leiomyoma or fibroma.  Fibroids are sensitive to hormones, and tend to naturally shrink and subside with the lower hormone levels associated with menopause.  Based on the information you've told me, I would not recommend a surgery.

I am a little concerned about the recurrent episodes of pain.  Ovarian cysts should also decrease in frequency as menopause comes on. If the pain continues or comes back again, you may want to request a transvaginal ultrasound to better evaluate your uterus and ovaries.  CT scans are not very good for imaging those organs, and can miss things.
If the pain doesn't come back, then you should be good to go for menopause! (Your menstrual changes are consistent with that by the way)

Good luck!

Dr B

Dr B