Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
What exactly is leiomyomatous changes in the uterus?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

What exactly is leiomyomatous changes in the uterus?

I am a 52 year old female who has had a hx of fibroids in the past.  A DNC was performed well over 20 years ago and have not had any problems until just recently.  Back in August, 2008, I woke up with severe pain and a super hot flash.    I went to the hospital where a CT scan was done showing lots of free fluid in the pelvic/abd. area.  I was told that I had a cyst on my (rt) ovary that had ruptured.  Recently I had a similar pain which again sent me to the ER room.  This was a little different as it radiated around to my back.  CT scan show everything to be normal except for a slightly prominent uterus which measures approx. 7x7cm.  The Dr. stated that this could represent a leiomyomatous change.  What exactly does that mean?  Menopause is around the corner and has been for approx. 1 year.  Is this part of pre-menopause?  Lately my periods are very light with a brown staining instead of the normal red blood.  It looks more like old blood.  They are still pretty much on schedule, but I seem to experience more abdominal cramping than I have in the past.  Should I be concerned enough to make an appointment with my OB/GYN?  Are fibroids dissolvable, or do they need to be surgically removed?