Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Worried

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Worried

The month of July and August were strange for my menstration. I have been having only 9 days between my periods, and they are full 5 to 7 days. I am sexually active with my live in boyfriend. According to my period log during my fertile time and ovulation time I have a period. Is this cause for concern?
Hi!
A normal menstrual cycle is no shorter than 21 days, so yours does not sound like it was normal.  If you were my patient, I would do a pregnancy test, and if negative, I would probably wait to see what the next cycle would bring.  If your cycles continued to be irregular, I would check some hormone levels.  It is not at all uncommon to have a "strange" period now and then, and if it is a one time occurence, I tend not to be too concerned.
Good luck!
Dr B
Thank you so much for your response. Could there be a possibility that I am pregnant? I always assumed that if you have periods, you could not be pregnant.
Some people have their "periods" throughout their pregnancy.  Also, I wanted to share that I had 3 periods in a 6 week time frame and the cause was fibroid tumors. Not to worry you but just wanted to inform you.