Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Worried
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Worried

Hello. I'm 16, and I started getting periods when I was a 14. Ever since I've gotten them, they have been very irregular and never seem to mellow out. I can get my period for 3 months consecutively around the same time, then not get my period for 5 months. This scares me because I'm sexually active and not on north control. Is it normal for periods to skip this much?.
603463_tn?1220630455
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you that irregular periods at your age are very common, and given a few more years, they may sort themselves out. If you are overweight or underweight, that could be contributing to the problem.  I would probably see you in the office, and do a few tests such as thyroid and prolactin levels. AND a pregnancy test.  If those were all fine, I would probably encourage you to try oral contraceptive pills to regulate your cycle.  I think this would "kill two birds with one stone" as the pills prevent pregnancy as well.  NOT true: if your periods are irregular you can't get pregnant.  You should also use condoms to protect against sexually transmitted diseases. Don't forget the morning after pill--if you are underage a parent or guardian (anyone over 18) could purchase this for you (PlanB)
This is medication to prevent pregnancy
Hope this helps!
Dr B
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
603463_tn?1220630455
Elaine Brown, MDBlank
Elaine Brown, MD - BLOG
Billings, MT
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank