Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
bacterial vaginosis

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

bacterial vaginosis

I ahd a LS hysterectomy in 2004. I have been monogomus with my husband of 21 years. I just had my annual pap done; it was fine with the exception of BV. How does this happen? I haven't talked with my gynecologist about it yet. It seems most all the sites I have researched claims it is a STD, is this correct and if so how can this be in my case? I know for a fact that my husband doesn't have sexual affairs with anyone else.  Thanks!

Bacterial vaginosis (BV) is the most common cause of vaginal discharge in women of childbearing age, accounting for 40 to 50 percent of cases.

BV is not due to a single organism. It should not be thought of as an STD.  Instead it represents a complex change in the vaginal flora (i.e., the normal bacteria found in the vagina) that results in an overgrowth of a certain types of bacteria that are normally found in the vaginal flora but in lower concentration.  So simply stated, it is the result of an imbalance of the vaginal flora.

Risk factors for acquisition of BV does include multiple or new sexual partners, as well as douching, cigarette smoking, or other factors that may disrupt the ph of the vagina.  Although sexual activity is a risk factor for the condition, BV can occur in women who have never had vaginal intercourse.  

Treatment comes in the form of vaginal suppositories or pills by mouth.  Again, this is a very common diagnosis, one that is easily treated.

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
I had my yearly check yesterday and I also have BV. I was taking too many bubble baths and putting to may "smell goods" on my panties. Also I smoke. I was told I was trying to be "too clean". Although I feel like having this makes me nasty. I just started a pill called Flagyl. They said it should start clearing up. I can't wait for it to go away.
i have suffered from bv but i dont anymore.i am a certified medical assistant.it isnt a std at all . it comes from an overgrowth of bacteria. you can prevent it from eating yogurt and a lot of it because it contains the sem bacteria in outr vagina that is in the yougrt. you shouldnt use baths because bv breeds in dark moist hot place. you shouldnt use feminie hygiene products because they can upset the ph balance in the vagina as well as use mild frangernce free soap that containm antibacterial soap. and take warm showers and dont use soap on the clitoris at all just plain warm water. and you have no reason why you should feel nasty at all. some women get yeast infections and some get bacterial infection. but take the steps i told and you should be fine.
Thank you so much Honey1982! It's totally gone for now...THANK GOD...the anitbiotic cleared it up within two days an i finished it off yesterday!! :)
ladies do not ****** #1, having lots of semen up there really throw off everything too...  if you dont like the eating yogurt thing, go to the pharmacy and get probiotics and take it for 30 days it restores natural good bacteria so bv stays away... it is under $10 and tastes way better than flagyl (metronidazole)  which you should never drink alcoholic beverages with because it will make you violently ill, also there is a new script out there called tindamax.....  ladies pick up a monthly subscription to cosmo always good stuff in there
no problem glad i could help
i also had a pap smear which detected BV and was given anitbiotic through mouth and something to insert at night by my gyny, i am sticking to the treatment and was asked to treat my huband too. My husband and i are christians and we are monogamus and being married for 8 years. i was asked to stop douching and let the vagina clean itself. i was only the outside now with ph balanced vaginal wash and make sure i wash inside the vagina with only warm water becos of the medication i insert at night, i wash only in the morning. i wipe whenever i use the bathroom from front to back. it is important to keep the place clean and your spouce too.
there isnt tratement for a man because it isnt an std sweetie only the women needs to be treated becayse ther is naturally bacteria in the vagin but an overgrowth of bacteria has happened and that why you have the smell and redness and maybe pain after sex.  you should use antibacterial soap never ******. and only take showers, not baths i am a certified medical assistant. any dyes and fragnce can casue bacteria vaginosis.i have had recurrent bv. but since i only take showers now and only use dial soap and use drink plenty of  water and eat plenty of yogurt.
bv isnt an std. but if you want your husband treated thats fine too. but if you dont follow with the doctors odors then bv can come back. hope all is well and i have been with my husband for two years and we use condoms. but i was taking baths, and douching. hope i was help.
i am wandering if you can have bumps with a BV or just irratation b/c i have irratation but also i have bumps that come up on the insides of my thighs around my vigina (vagina) area but not on it. and they itch and some get heads and some dont. i will get up to like 7 at a time. and they will go away on their own in time. please help me i want to go to the doctor but im scared of what it may be. my husband is showing no signs of irratation or bumps ( i guess he hasnt said anything) but i haven told him about this either. please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thank you for your comment in this forum. i called a gyno this morning and made an appointment they cant see me until dec 6th but at least i made the first step and called. ill keep you all posted on the outcome.

thanks again for everyone, this is a great site.
not a prob. goodluck. keep me posted.
a couple of years ago my gyn found BV in my pap test. i was treated for it but it kept coming back every 3months or so. i was not taking baths, douching, using anything with fragrance, or smoking and have had only one sexual partner for many years. i also drink plenty of water and eat yogurt almost everyday. when i went back to my gyn for the 4th time she treated my boyfriend as well the same way she treated me. she told me that he was giving it back to me after i was treated each time. since he was treated it has not come back. if it isnt an std in that way why did the treatment work?
can men spread BV?
I've been having recurrent infections with BV since May and haven't been able to seem to get rid of it. I've taken 7 courses of Flagyl along with Cleocin. I'm on Femcon 35 birth control and now I have spotting along with my infection. Is the spotting from the Birth Control or from the interaction with the Flagyl? I want to get rid of this infection once and for all, it really makes me feel gross and depressed, please help!
My name is Kelly, i have had vaginosis since i was 13, i am 26 now. I used to consutl different doctors, and they never did anything about. It is very uncomfortable, i would like to find the cure to stop the wetness and sometimes the smell.
Can someboody help me pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee, any medication?? Food?? anything. By the way i am virgen, expecting to get married soon. I would like to get rid of this ASAP. It is so embarrasing!!
Thank you
I CANT HELP BUT I GO THROUGH SOMETHING LIKE WHAT YOU HAVE ALSO BUT I GET BUMPS AROUND WHERE MY PANTIES RUB AND THEY ITCH AND SOMETIMES GET HEADS ON THEM IM GOING TO THE DOCTOR THURSDAY FINALLY AND ILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY IM SCARED THAT IT MIGHT BE CANCER OR A STD BUT IVE BEEN MARRIED FOR 3 YEARS AND HE DOESNT HAVE SYMPTOMS AND IVE ONLY BEEN WITH HIM SINCE WE STARTED DATING 4 YEARS AGO. SO I DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS BUT ILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT THEY TELL ME.
I've been dealing with what I thought was BV for 18 months.I can't afford to go to a gyn so I go to the local Health Dept, they've seen me 1-2 times/month and now they refuse to see me anymore. They were treating me for BV, but I don't have the clue cells to back up the diagnosis. I've eaten yogurt (8oz) morning and night religiously, it worked for 1 month. Since then it's gotten worse. I don't wash with anything, but warm water. It's thick, white, sometimes tacky discharge. I've been with the same man the whole time and we've tried everything not to disrupt the ph in my vagina. It's gotten so bad, I've gone back to douching to try and at least make sex a little pleasurable without being embarrassed with this. My sex life is almost nonexistent because neither of us want to be turned off by the discharge. Does anybody have any ideas on what else it might be or what I can try to get rid of it?
Thank sissie , let me know!!.
By the way, the other day i noticed that i was getting like a pimple in my clitoris and it was hurting for about 2 days, now the "  pimple is getting smaller. I will schedule an appt with a doctos ASAP in order to prevent a head of time.

thanks
A related discussion, bv was started.