Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
bleeding doesn't stop

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

bleeding doesn't stop

dear doc,
I am 20 yrs old. i weigh 60kgs. i have irregular period problems. i used to get my periods once in 6 months or more at times. so when consulted a doctor she prescribed SYSRON-N. after 28 days of taking it, i got my periods but the bleeding didn't stop for about 20 days. it is the same case every time i get my periods. it doesn't stop untill i start taking the pills again. i have got my scanning done and everything seems to be normal as per the doctor.This is the case even when the pills were changed. Please help. is there any other tests that i have to go through? what should i do to make my periods regular. PLEASE PLEASE help. THANK YOU

It sounds like you have oligomenorrhea (infrequent menstruation).  Your physician should evaluate you for the underlying cause.  Checking your thyroid hormones and a prolactin level is a start.  A common cause of oligmenorrhea in women is the polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS).  PCOS is notable for oligomenorrhea, physical evidence of hyperandrogenism (e.g., male pattern hair growth) and multiple small follicles within the ovaries (2/3 are required to meet this diagnosis).  

You may want to ask your physician to put you on an estrogen and progesterone containing birth control pill.  This should regulate your menses and make your period lighter.

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
hello dr. please also help me....i have same problem...having my period for last 5 weeks...i fell very fat....i had all US scan, Ct scan, blood test...all normal....what is going wrong with me.
help
thank you. i got the blood tests done for thyroids as well as placets and harmone level. they are all normal. i got my scan done and the doc said it is PCOS. they haven't started the medication yet. i have put on a lot of weight since they put me on sysron-n & proluton 3 months back. i want to know if this weight gain is because of the pill and also if i can loose it with proper exercise. thank you
A related discussion, Irregular menstrual problem was started.
A related discussion, continous bleeding was started.