Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
bright yellow urine

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

bright yellow urine

I am a 55 year old female, just 5 weeks post op of a hysterectomy. Within the last few weeks (it could have been earlier, didn't notice) my urine at the end of my void is a bright yellow color. When I first urinate it is a normal yellow color, but at the end, when I strain to empty my bladder, it is a bright yellow color, and kind of infuses with the urine already in the toilet, in such a way that you can see the difference.. I also see it when I wipe, and it is also staining my underwear.

Is this something to be concerned about? I have an appt. with my gynecologist in a week, and will ask her more then, but when I called to ask them about it, they didn't seem concerned.

My urine is clear but it is also strong smelling. I did have a blood transfusion after the surgery. Could this be associated in anyway.

I am not on any medications, or taking any vitamins that would cause the change of color. I drink plenty of water, and have even added more water to my regime.

Thank you for your time.
Hi!
I suppose that there could be a relationship to the blood transfusion.  If you were my patient, I would ask you to come in for a urinalysis.  I would want to rule out any type of UTI, and a urinalysis should also show if you are spilling lots of billirubin into your urine which might be a sign of hemolysis (break down of the transfused blood).  It is easy to do an office UA, and could certainly wait until the post op visit.
Good luck!
Dr B