Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
cervical or ovarian cancer

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

cervical or ovarian cancer

is it comman for a 17 year old to have cancer. I have been having bad leg, pelvic, and lower back pain. they told me that i have ovarian cysts but i didn't know if it might be cancer because ovarian cancer is hard to ditect??? IF YOU COULD HELP THAT WOULD BE GREAT.  Im just worried because i dont want it to be bad...
thank-you
Dest1

There are specific types of ovarian cancer that are more often found in children and adolescents that are different from those found in older women.  In children and young girls ovarian cancer usually presents as an ovarian mass and typically they only report pain if the ovary twists and its blood supply is cut off.  

So, ovarian cancer in young people is overall uncommon, but definitely occurs.  Your symptoms would be atypical.  Benign ovarian cysts in a woman your age are quite common.  I suggest you see a gynecologist to follow you. but there may be other reasons for your symptoms unrelated to your gynecologic organs.

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
WHAT?  Cancer can affect newborns...age has nothing to do with the possibility of one having cancer or not.  Be careful what you say. What if someone reads your respnse and based on your words does not seek treatment and then they are found to be suffering from a life threatning illness. Can you live with that. Know what you are talking about before you speak---Please!
Dr. Downing DID say that cancer occurs in children and adolescents.  He also suggested she seek medical advice from a gynecologist.  My suggestion to you would be make sure you UNDERSTAND what you read before you make derrogatory remarks to the good Dr.