Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
complex cysts with constant bleeding

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

complex cysts with constant bleeding

Hi, I have been diagnosed with two complex cysts. I have been bleeding constantly since last menstrual Jan.28th. The L ovary has a 3 cm complex/complicated cyst and the R has a complex/complicated 7cm cyst. My iron is at 5.5 and am going to the gyno tomorrow to discuss everything. I have suffered with migraines since I was 12 and have been having problems with my cycles for about 8 years.My main concern right now is getting the bleeding to stop. Is it normal for constant bleeding with these cysts? I am dealing with a lot of distention in my abdomen. I have constant pain,(high threshold for pain), and have tried ibuprofen and tylenol, they don't touch it. I am trying to figure out what questions I need to ask, and if there is a better medication for pain I can take. I am not a fan of narcotics because they only make me feel like I'm on drugs w/pain, lol. I thought of Ultram, has worked for pain before but it wasn't this kind of pain. I am supposed to start my period Sunday,(never stopped), and am conerned because everything is increasing the closer I get.Thanks for your time:)
HI!
IF you were my patient, I would start by asking your age.  I am going to assume based on your nickname that you are about 45 although you look somewhat younger  =)
I would then start with a careful exam to see if there was any obvious cause for the bleeding.  If not, I would consider an endometrial biopsy.
I would also ask about any history of heart disease, because your hgb puts you in the right range for strong consideration for a transfusion.  (I am guessing that you mean your hemoglobin when you say your iron level--if not, forgive me)
Pertaining to the ovarian cysts--I would want to review the ultrasound films looking for characteristics of malignancy or endometriosis.  I would probably order a ca 125 or ova-1 blood test for ovarian cancer.
Depending upon the results of the above, I would probably want to review your case with a gyn oncologist.  Surgery will probably be in your future.
It is possible that that can wait until your bleeding is controlled and your hemoglobin stabilized.  
Good luck!
Dr B
Thanks for responding. I am 34 ,(hope I look younger,lol) and the 5.5 is my iron level. I was told my hemo was also low. I meet with the gyno this afternoon. My Aunt,Mother, and sister have all had hystos with bleeding being the initial symptoms. I will let you know about the appt and thanks for the response ;)
Guess iron is the same as hemo...lol, it was 7.3 today. They were concerned that I should have prob had a transfusion last Mond at 5.5,not sure why they didn't send me at 7.3, I have been taking my iron and B12 still. They put me on Lysteda and I took the two pills Sat evening. From 8pm that night until 5pm Sun, I had the WORST headache. Bleeding has basically stopped so I'm not taking any more of it unless the bleeding starts up again.I have an appointment Thurs to discuss our options. The gyno took a biopsy of my uterus, (with my tilted uterus,low iron, and big cysts) the procedure SUPER sucked...lol.There has been talk of burning the lining of my uterus or part to full hysterectomy. Not sure what the right choice would be and am nervous about the biopsy results.