Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
herpes.....

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

herpes.....

After a 3 month relationship with someone whom i've discovered has herpes, Ive recently been told that I have contracted herpes from him. I had an outbreak, so my gyno suggested that i do a blood test and a biopsy.  The biopsy results indicate that there is a high possibility that it is primary syphilis and a much less likely possibility that it is early nondiagnostic herpes.  My blood test showed negative for syphilis, so my gyno ruled that out.  She indicated that my HSV blood test read .98 (or.90...i cant remember which one).  She said that that number is high, and therefore, it is herpes.  she has indicated also that she cannot tell if it is HSV 1 or 2.  She has advised that i re-test in a couple months to determine if its HSV 1 or 2.  My difficulty in accepting the herpes diagnosis lies in the fact that though i was on acyclovir 800mg three times dail, couples with the acyclovir cream, this was completely ineffective.  My outbreak did not respond to this treatment any at all.  When i informed my Gyno of this, she recommended that i stop the herpes medication and take an antibiotuc called ciproflaxin.  Immediately after starting on this medication, my sores started to heal.  If it is herpes, then how could i receive such relief from an antibiotic????.......is it possible that it is chancroid and not herpes?  What tests should i do? What do the numeric results of my herpes blood test mean?
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you that if your herpes IgG or IgM is positive, it indicates that you have herpes.  It may be a coincidence that your lesions began to heal--they probably would have healed regardless.
Of course it is possible that it could be chancroid, but that is very rare and herpes is very common.  There is also the fact that your partner has herpes too.  I think the diagnosis is herpes, but you should continue investigating with your doctor.
Good luck!
Dr B
my IGG results were negative but the IGM was positive........does this mean its a recent infection......i know its stupid to hope, but could this IGM be a false positive?