Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
im a minor and pregnant

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

im a minor and pregnant

I am 17 i live on my own with my boyfriend,  due to family problems. I need to go to the doctors but i dont want my father to know just yet although im under his insurance,  is there anyway to get on state insurance even though im a minor?
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you to go to the doctor ASAP.  The doctor's office will be able to help you get insurance.  When a teen is pregnant, she is considered an "emancipated minor" and is able to get health care and insurance through the state.  To use your father's insurance, you will need to inform him.  Getting insurance through the state may affect your benefits on your father's plan--so ask your doctor's office to help you.
If you don't know how to get a doctor, go to the local emergency room or health department and start there.
Go soon so your baby is healthy!
Good luck!
Dr B
Thank you very much!!
Go to a crisis pregnancy center. It us free and they will help you to the next step.