Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
painful below

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

painful below

I have been having pain in my vagina and vulva for the past 7 weeks i am now 22 weeks pregnant and i mentioned it to my midwife twice and she has just given me canestan saying it will be thrush. This past week the pain has become unbearable and i have had swobs taken for thrush and bv and the results are all normal. I have been to my gp again today who has taken another swob bit says everything looms fine down there. It is very itchy and the pain is like a stabbing feeling and also feels like its full of cuts. Please help me as my gp wont give me any treatment as they dont understand the cause. I have tried natural live yoghurt, tea tree oil in my baths, cotton underwear, not using perfumed soaps but none are helping me. Also the canestan goves no relief at all. Pleasehelp
Hi!
If you were my patient, I might try something a bit stronger for candida, such as Diflucan, and I might be tempted to repeat the dose for up to a week until symptoms improved.  Your symptoms certainly sound like candida, and unless an actual fungal culture is done, tests for candida are often negative even when it is present.  A fungal culture might also tell you what the organism is sensitive to.
Good luck!
Dr B