Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
pregnant with ear infection

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

pregnant with ear infection

Hi, Im pregnant with only 6 weeks, but Im really not enjoying my pregnancy because I have been with a very bad cold for the last 2 weeks, and worst with ear infection for the last 5 weeks, my ginecologyst gave a z-pack of antibiotics for 3 days 2 caplets each day, the pain stops but I still cant hear very good and I feel my ears inflamated, when is this going to stop? are antibiotics dangerous in pregnant women? should I go to an specialist and have some exams?during this days I have some fever is this bad for the baby?
this is my first time pregnant, and I have so many questions, some time I feel the phisycians here are so busy they dont have enough time for us.
Well if you can answers my questions it will be great !!
thanks so much for your help!!!

The fever you have experienced will not cause harm to the development of your baby.  Regarding the use of antibiotics, some are potentially dangerous in pregnancy and thus not used, while others are quite safe.  A Z-Pack (azithromycin) is quite safe.  

You don't need to go to a specialist for these issues; your generalist ob/gyn should be able to assist you just fine.  The one thing I would recommend when you get well is to have a flu shot (if it is influenza season where you live).  The vaccine is safe in pregnancy (assuming you have no other contra-indications).

I hope you feel better.

Dr. Downing