Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
pregnant with iud need help!!!

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

pregnant with iud need help!!!

iam pregnant with the iud still in place what are chance that i will have a healthy baby? also when i checked for my iud strings i felt a lump on the vagina wall could that be the baby?
Hi!
Last question first--no, the bump you felt is most likely NOT the baby.
As for your first question, If you can feel the strings, there is a good chance that the IUD can be removed.  When the IUD is removed, there is a pretty high chance of a miscarriage --about 25-50%--but if everything goes well with that, then there is a great chance that your baby will be healthy.  It is definitely recommended to remove the IUD if possible, but many pregnancies do continue with an IUD in place.  Again, there is a possibility of miscarriage, preterm delivery, infection, etc. but many women end up with healthy babies, and IUDs are not likely to cause birth defects.
I wish you all the best!
Dr B