Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
smells like urine during sex?

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

smells like urine during sex?

OK, here's a back story.  I am 19, in a monogamous relationship.  My boyfriend and I recently stopped using condoms because he was tested.  I have had 1 or 2 yeast infections in my life, but as far as I know, nothing else.  I've noticed that while we were having sex, it smelled a bit weird and fishy and a bit like urine too.  Afterwards I put a finger in my vagina and smelled it to see what it smelled like, and it smelled like a combo of his semen and urine.  Why would it smell like urine inside me?

I usually don't have vaginal odor at all.  Before we had sex I smelled my underwear just to check to see if all was normal, and it smelled fine, just as it always has (kinda sweet).  I have no itching, burning, pain, I feel fine down there.  Is it possible that this smell happened because I had hardly drank any water or eaten anything that day?  Is it also possible that it came from the fact that right before we had sex, I gave him oral sex with a mint in my mouth. (he smelled normal down there)

Any suggestions would be welcome!
Hi!
A fishy odor can be an indicator of bacterial vaginosis, so if this becomes a persistant problem, you may want to be checked for that.  BV is not an STD, but simply a change in the type of bacteria that usually inhabit the vagina.  It is easily cleared up with antibiotics.

Semen has a kind of chlorine smell, which is normal.

Sometimes during intercourse a little urine leaks out especially if the woman has any stress incontinence type problems. I am assuming that at 19 you don't have major issues, but this can be normal especially if sex is vigorous.

Hope this helps!

Dr B