Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
swollen labia majora

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

swollen labia majora

I am a post- menopausal women,  ( surgically enduced  post hysterectomy ) age 56 on estradiol 0.5 mg. I have  diffuse swelling in my labia majora. It is equal  bilaterally and extends over my pubic symphasis.  There is no specific lumps or thickenss in the area.   It is not acutely painful, but there is a  feeling of fullness, achieness. that radiates through the groin area. The swelling has increased over the past 24 hours and the feeling of discomfort radiating through my groin area  has increased. There is no changes in the skin color, texture or temperature.   No fever. I am married with no changes in sexual activity, soaps,  detergents. Thanks!
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you that is sounds like you may be having a reaction to something--possibly a new soap, new underpants or a new type of pad. It may be helpful to biopsy the worst areas, or to try a cortisone cream. One other thought, but it is quite unlikely; you could have bilateral inflammation of the Bartholin's glands which are located on the lower inner aspect of the labia.
I hope this helps!
Dr B